Saturday, February 11, 2012

Frugal Pets-ways to take care of your pet for less

Kitty and I have quite the zoo. We have two pugs, Zoey and Potato, as well as two cats, Spooky and Kate. Taking care of the animals can be expensive, especially in respect to food and treats. I have done what I can to get things on clearance for the dear critters, but sometimes I find it cheaper, and more fun to make things myself. Here are some of the awesome things I've done for my little fur children.
Potato in her homemade costume...but that's a blog for another day.


Puggy Pops
-This is a simple recipe using stuff from around the house to make little treats for a hot summer day.
You will need:
  • A quart of juice
  • A banana
  • 1/2 cup yogurt
All you have to do is mix the ingredients together, freeze and viola! Fancy treats for your canine or human friends.
*For a fancy flare, I make mine into fun ice cube trays, like hearts
Zoey, the best pug ever


Barkin' Good Treats
-These are some easy to make treats your pet will like if they enjoy a crunchy treat. Sadly I can't make these for Zoey as she's aged and missing a bunch of teeth. Potato much enjoys them though!  

What you'll need is:
  • 1 1/2 cups of water
  • 1/4 cup applesauce (flavoured or not)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter (crunchy or regular)
  • 3/4 cup regular flour
  • 3/4 cup oats
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
To bake:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
  • Mix liquid ingredients together well. 
  • Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. 
  • Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients bowl and mix until smooth. 
  • Roll into a ball; place ball on floured surface. Roll out to 1/2" thickness. Cut into desired shapes 
  • Place on un-greased cookie sheets. 
  • Bake for 20 minutes
You *must* put something down, like flour or parchment paper or this will stick and not roll out. I floured my hands to roll out, as my rolling pin got stuck. But I like working with my hands. If you like your rolling pin and are better versed in the rolling pin arts, go for it.

These treats will last for awhile, but not forever as they don't have any preservatives in them. Freeze any extra.

All my furbabies...it's called 'fur'niture for a reason!


My last frugal idea for now...was a genius idea for a pet bed. Pet beds are WAY too much money, I think. I had a great idea. With a yard or so of fabric and an old pillow, I was able to make a bed all the pets love.

If you don't sew, no problem. Just get two pieces of fleece, cut about 2 inches larger than the pillow, cut strips around it, place another fleece on top with matching strips and tie them together. Another bonus to this bed, it's easy to wash! Of course, my favourite detergent to wash my pet things in is Rockin' Green!

Zoey and her friend Rosie, the Puggle on the thrifty pet bed


What frugal things do you do to help keep the cost of caring for your pets down?

No comments:

Post a Comment